The most common species of fleas is the Cat Flea which is known to bite humans. All fleas feed on warm-blooded animals and the typically females lay their eggs after feeding.
Adult fleas average to about 2mm in size and are red-brown, flattened, wingless insects.
SIGNS OF INFESTATION
- Pets scratching may be a sign of fleas.
- In light coloured animals, you may see the fleas when you brush back the hairs.
- In darker coloured animals, combing the pet over white paper may reveal black specks. If the black specks turn red when you add drops of water onto them, they are fleas.
- Bites on humans around the ankles and legs can be an indicator. The bites usually provoke an irritating, allergic reaction resulting in a small red spot about 5mm in diameter.
- You may also see fleas jumping in your carpet and furniture if you have an active infestation.