Advice and information on Ants
Ants usually invade buildings in search of food, particularly sweet foodstuffs they can take back to the nest.
SIGNS OF INFESTATION
Large numbers of the insect may be an indication of an infestation. In particular, Ant pathways may signify the presence of a nest.
- Ants are attracted to foodstuffs that are sweet and sticky so it is important to keep surfaces clear of a possible food source.
- In addition, an infestation indoors can be prevented by blocking off entry points by sealing cracks and crevices around doors and windows.
- Find the nest entrance. You can find these by looking for small piles of earth pellets or by watching the movements of the ants.
- Pour a kettle of boiling water over the nest site, then follow up by puffing an insecticidal powder product into the hole.
- An insecticidal lacquer or insecticidal aerosol can be applied around the door thresholds and wall/floor junction where ants run.
Some heated buildings may see cases of the Pharaoh’s Ant and Ghost Ants which are much smaller and can have multiple nests in a building structure. Here you need to call in professional operators.